Monday, November 10, 2014

I can't take it anymore

I asked more than 10 friends what they thought of Interstellar and all of them gave stellar reviews. I wanted to ask 30 more but then I realised that I have very few friends in real life and fewer that I still contact. So yeah screw having lots of friends. Socially inept people unite!

So back to my story. I didn't like Interstellar. Personally, I thought it was a bewildered, convoluted mess. (SPOILER ALERT). At the beginning of the movie, it showed that the Earth was facing a catastrophe. Why that catastrophe happened, it was never explained. Actually come to think of it, most of what happened in the movie were never explained.

Everyone in Interstellar mentioned Einstein's theories of relativity over and over again but it was never explained why they mattered or how they were applied. Maybe I'm just too stupid and theories of relativity are something that's considered as general knowledge nowadays hence my difficulties in connecting the dots or maybe I was just being my usual asshole nitpicker but explain to me why and how dammit! And I won't even tell about that illogical flying at the horizon of the wormhole because you can google it yourself and I'm too angry (read: lazy) to link it for you. However, I can link you this though because I think it's very interesting and I wish the movie explored this further instead of just showing it just to fill in the time. But maybe that's just me.

Talking about things that weren't explored, I think that the movie put too much stock in the actors to give out raw emotions instead of exploring the topic of relationships. I don't know, the fear of never again seeing a family member should affect you more than what this movie conveyed. That's another thing I felt about this movie. Most of the things were mere fillers and they felt draggy, like Anne Hathaway (seriously I still don't understand what that bitch was supposed to be) and her talks about love transcends all and Dr Mann's scenes when he tried to kill Cooper and all that jazz. Despite all the fillers and the running time of almost 3 hours, some parts of the movie seemed hurried like the part when Cooper and Brand got back to Endurance after the disaster in Miller's planet or all the scenes towards the end of the movie. It's like Nolan himself couldn't wait to end his own fucking movie and thus only gave us a half-assed ending.

I'm so pissed at Interstellar that I'm still typing this even though the Swansea v Arsenal game has already started.

To me, Interstellar is part a poor man's Gravity and part a poor man's 2001: A Space Odyssey. And I'm also bothered by the fact that I think the best movie in history about finding life in a new planet is this animation. After all these years and even though movies nowadays cost more, nothing can top this.

P/s: I'm too lazy to find pictures to post.
 

No comments: