Sunday, July 13, 2014

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

It's easy to root for the weak and the underdogs. This is a bad analogy, but so many people were rooting for Costa Rica even when they were playing anti-football was because they were the underdogs. For the record, in 2010 and even in Euro 2012 and in this World Cup, Spain and in some games, Netherlands were playing anti-football too. They defended and defended for 87 minutes and the other 3 minutes were spent on trying to score when fatigue started to kick in (Netherlands were lucky they had Arjen Robben, who I think displayed one of his best performances even though bitch fell like a damned feather some of the times). Spain and Netherlands were heavily criticised for being anti-football, but you don't see Costa Rica getting the same treatment.

That's one bad example, but you get what I mean. I think sometimes that we humans are programmed to go for the underdogs and the weak even when they're in the wrong.

This is what I feel is happening to Palestine and Israel. No, I'm not saying that Israel is not evil and Palestinians are not suffering right now, but I believe in a war, things are more complicated and not as black and white as it seems, especially when you take into accounts all the political relationships Hamas and IDF have with each other and with other countries AND their financial positions. Since 2011, IDF are experiencing budget cuts and hundreds of people, if not thousands, are facing terminations but after the newest attack started, IDF received USD2 billion from an undisclosed source. The same happened to Hamas. It is widely known that Hamas can't even afford to pay its own staff and are now desperate for funding (which I personally believe what this latest abomination is all about). And that's not even scratching the surface of the issue.

To me, this is not about religions anymore. Actually it has ceased to be about religions decades ago. It's more about land borders, political ties, funding, and a lot more complicated shits that my stupid brain cannot grasp about.

I hate IDF for targeting the houses of Hamas' leaders in the West Bank and killed civilians in the process but I hate Hamas more for offering monetary incentives to young kids to get involved in something that can never be won and for dragging innocent people down with them and for making them endure untold suffering. Then I will go back to hating IDF because Hamas and the Palestinians only occupy a small part of the West Bank, so why go after them anyway? What about the rest of  it? And why go after Gaza?

And I hate people for spouting all sorts of unsubstantiated nonsense and saying shits like "Kau ni taktau sejarah tamadun Islam" or "I hope Hitler comes back" (Fucking really? You want someone who had a hand in killing almost 20 million of the world's population to come back?) and for not understanding the roles of UN and for cheering when al-Qassam killed innocent Israelis and said that it was done in the name of my holy religion.

But the thing I hate the most is that these atrocities are happening in my lifetime and there's no ending in sight for this.

Some of the peace organisations are pushing for a two-state solution, and as much as it sounds attainable, I don't think it will materialise in the near future because nobody wants to let go of Jerusalem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in any way. This is only my opinion.

No comments: