Tuesday, December 23, 2014

A fitting farewell

I still remember the first time I watched Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring like it was only yesterday, not 13 years ago. I went to watch the movie with a school friend at TGV KLCC and we waited in line for more than an hour. The queue was so long that it went around the escalator. I remember that the first showing was during the Christmas week. And I remember that I paid RM9 for the movie ticket.

I paid RM28.50 for The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies last Friday.

I went to see the movie in IMAX, because I figured for the final instalment for the series of movies that have a huge influence in my life, it deserved to be seen in IMAX chewah poyo. And to me, that RM28.50 was totally worth it (which is a huge deal coming from a cheapskate like me). Yes I was pissed at the pacing of the movie and at every Tauriel scene but watching the movie made me so emotional that I teared up a bit at (SPOILER ALERT!) Thorin's death scene. And then I teared up again during the credit because I felt like I was saying goodbye to a friend that I've known for half of my life. Yes, I know. I'm a hypocritical, pretentious prick, you don't have to spell it for me.


This gif is to distract you from the fact that there are no Hobbit-related pictures in this post. My ass is too lazy to google and choose which picture to post and whatnot.

Anyway, it's hard to reconcile the love I feel towards the movie series with the intense dislike I have towards the books. I'm so grateful for the creation of the Middle Earth and I somewhat like The Hobbit because it's only about 300 pages long but I fucking hate the Lord of the Rings series. I still can't believe that J.R.R Tolkien made me read a description of a tree.....in 11 pages. Why the hell would you describe a tree in 11 fucking pages? Good Lord I'm still mad about that. Even after all these years, I still don't like reading anything too descriptive because I feel like it's ruining the charm of a story (translation: I don't have the patience).

Anyway, that's only me. Don't let my stupid opinions influence your preference.

Back to the Battle of the Five Armies, I loved the movie. I loved every part of it, all of its weaknesses and all of the negative reviews, but even I believe that the movie would be 14000% better if Tauriel wasn't in it. Goddamn I was so pissed at her it almost took away my enjoyment from watching the movie.

No comments: